February 08, 2011

'ism's and bits...and almost 5!


Hi again, mi amigos.  Before getting to any birthday chatter, I wanted to jot down a couple of Monkey "ism's and bits" before I forget 'em.  Sure, some are redundant to my Facebook friends, but that's how it goes.  Skip to the ones you like.

Most recently, this past weekend, I was telling Alana that it was time to leave the indoor playground at Chelsea Piers.  My news was met with a grinning "fuck it, mommy!".  I'd never heard any real potty words from her before, so I probably just looked surprised as I said "excuse me?", and she repeated herself enthusiastically (and loudly, I might add), as a guy walking by smirked at me and said quietly, "yup, that's what she said!"  Oy.  Later that night, our friends took us out to dinner to celebrate February birthdays.  As we were wrapping up, imagine my surprise to hear my still-4-yo-daughter perk up and say, unprompted, "Fank you for inviting us to dinner, Sophie and George!  This was great!".  All in all, I'd say my little baby's growing up!

My favorite (and thus, any more that I remember will be inserted above this, 'cuz ya gotta save the best for last) was last week when were heading out for a party, and I saw the Monkey sitting on the potty, straining.  Me:  Are you ok?  Are you trying to poop?  Her:  No, I'm trying to get candy out my butt.  Me:  Uh....ok then!  Her (both of us are laughing now):  Because I ate a lot of sugar today!  I'm trying to get candy out my BUTT!  But I can't.   Me:  Yeah, me neither.  (Elements of this convo have been re-enacted several times since).

 Gotta say, I admired the hypothesis - sugar in, candy out?!   A scientist in the making.

So, another sign she's growing up.  Gymnastics.  She started almost year and a half ago, in the 3's class.  Then moved up to the 4's, which was nearly identical...lots of obstacle course stuff, trampoline, some rock wall.  Now I've bumped her into the 5's.  BIG change!  This class is way regimented, as they move from one piece of equipment to the next.  If you know Alana, you know she's a bouncy little chickie on her own agenda.  She'll focus or not, depending.  And if her interests lie elsewhere, she'll generally - and easily! - wrangle a partner in crime.  Not so in this class!  I did see her go that route towards the end of the first session, but last week, after I explained that this is the way to learn how to do all those cool flips and high bounces we've seen the coaches do,  I watched in amazement as the tiniest gymnast in the class stayed focused and intent for the full 60 mins.  Wowsa!

Anyway, yes, birthday coming up this Saturday!  The whole 5 thing seems to have this aura about it, at least around here, where kindergarten testing, zoning, and admissions is a big deal, yadda yadda.  Won't bore you with the details of that!  But no question, turning 5 makes you a full-fledged kid, which is cool but a little mixed for a mama. 

And right now I'm juggling the details of the party, along with prepping for a crafts project I'm gonna do with her class on Thursday (they're doing an international unit this month, so I'm gonna talk about Russia and have them make cute paper versions of Matryoshka dolls), while of course tending to the slew of grown-up tasks and quandaries.  Over n' out!



(The little groupie with members of the Dirty Sock Fun Time Band, after a show at her school)


5 comments:

kevin21 said...

88pascher.com sac a main louis vuitton sac burberry sac chanel chaussures puma chaussures nike tee shirts louis vuitton chanel femmes tee shirts sitemapproducts.xml sitemapproducts.xml sitemapproducts.xml sitemapproducts.xml

Lili Li said...

Agree with the above saying.
Beats By Dre
Beats Monster By Dr Dre
Heart Beats By Dre
Beats By Dre
Wholesale Beats By Dre
Cheap Beats By Dre
Beats By Dre
Beats By Dre Solo
Wholesale Beats By Dre

Lili Li said...

How nice you are!
cheap Arizona Cardinals
discount Arizona Cardinals jerseys
Arizona Cardinals jerseys on Sale
Nike NFL jerseys
cheap Arizona Cardinals
cheap atlanta falcons jerseys
atlanta falcons football jerseys
Nike NFL jerseys

Lili Li said...

I have heard of the name before, and I intend to use it recently.
Cheap NFL Jerseys
Nike NFL Jerseys
Wholesale NFL Jerseys

clyq li said...

It is fine and worth to check it out!
Nike NFL Jerseys
Wholesale NFL Jerseys
NFL Jerseys china